The OBodies molecule is a small, stable affinity protein found across all forms of life. Through evolution this domain has conserved the same fold and functional concave binding face rather than the binding loops found on antibodies on the market and under development today.
In nature the domain on which OBodies is based often binds to proteins, small molecules, oligosaccharides, oligonucleotides, proteins, metal ions and catalytic substrates. These natural characteristics provide inherent advantages over antibodies in many cases.
The use of antibodies is limited by their chemical makeup. Most require refrigeration to maintain viability, and are often too big and complex to be used for the new applications being developed by the Biotech and Pharmaceutical industry. Examples of these new applications include intracellular delivery of pharmaceuticals, and targeting DNA and RNA for personalized medical applications
Major diagnostic and therapeautic companies around the world are hungry for technologies that will out-perform 50 year old monoclonal antibody technology. Many significant patents expire within the next 8 years leaving these companies exposed to generic competitors and so there is urgency amongst these companies to secure novel technologies with freedom to operate. In addition, many of these companies are looking for innovative technologies for applications where antibodies cannot be viably applied due to their size, stability or cost to manufacture.
World Class Technology
OBodies Limited is operating in the fastest growing market segment in Biotechnology alongside antibodies
OBodies Ltd's products, high affinity proteins (HAP's), provide several advantages over antibody proteins currently available in the market.
- Unique patent position and freedom to operate.
- Cost effective production systems compared to monoclonal antibodies.
- Stability, OBodies do not require refrigeration as monoclonal antibodies do, and so can be used in rapid diagnostic test kits in harsh environments for example.
- OBodies are less than 10% of the size of monoclonal antibodies which means applications in areas where monoclonal antibodies cannot compete, e.g. intracellular applications, targeting DNA/RNA.
- Customised binding and specificity to the target provides flexibility to choose HAP's for a range of applications difficult to achieve with monoclonal antibodies.
OBodies are produced in e-coli using phage display technology.
OBodies is seeking partnerships and early market access collaborations for the continued development of its technology. To contact us please click here.